A list of printed publications and books that you can order for further assistance. Please note that prices may change on many of the publications. Before you send money, please verify the address and price with the organization.
A. FEDERAL RESOURCES
Federal Rules of Civil Procedure with forms – $21.00
Federal Rules of Appellate Procedure with forms – $8.00
If convicted of a federal crime, you can request the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure for $11.00 and the Federal Rules of Evidence for $8.00. These books will not assist state prisoners.
All prices include postage. Write to:
U.S. Government Printing Office
P.O. Box 979050
St. Louis, MO 63197-9000
(Check or money order payable to “Superintendent of Documents”)
B. NATIONAL RESOURCES
- The Bluebook: A Uniform System of Citation. Write to: Attn Business Office, Bluebook Orders, Harvard Law Review Association, Gannett House, 1511 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02138. Cost is $32.00 plus shipping.
- Brief Writing and Oral Argument, 9th edition. Guidance on preparing effective oral and written arguments, especially relating to the Courts of Appeals. Send $50.50 and order to: Oxford University Press, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513
- Columbia University Jailhouse Lawyers Manual is an excellent resource, especially if you are incarcerated in New York. Please refer to the full page order form at the end of this handbook. Complete and send the order form below with a check or money order (no stamps), payable to Columbia Human Rights Law Review to Columbia Human Rights Law Review, Attn: JLM Order, 435 W. 116th St., New York, NY 10027.
- Constitutional Rights of Prisoners, 9th edition. Unfortunately, this is no longer available directly from the publisher, but family members can order through bookstores like Powells.com.
- Cohen and Olson’s Legal Research in a Nutshell, 8th Edition. West Publishing, 610 Opperman Drive, Eagan, MN 55123. Cost is $33.00.
- Fortune News. Newsletter from the Fortune Society, specifically for prisoners. The majority of the writers are prisoners / ex-prisoners. Free. Write to: The Fortune Societies, Attn: Fortune News Subscriptions, 29-76 Northern Blvd, Long Island City, NY 11101.
- Introduction to the Legal System of the United States. This publication will help you understand the principles of the U.S. legal system. Send $33.00 and order to: Oxford University Press, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513
- Law Offices of Alan Ellis, PC. Attorney Alan Ellis has a number of publications available, including the Federal Prison Guidebook for $85.98 (CA residents add $6.52 sales tax). To order the Guidebook, write to: James Publishing, Inc., P.O. Box 25202, Santa Ana, CA 92799-5202. Many free resources available online at www.alanellis.com, if you have a friend on the outside to help.
- Osborne Association – publishes Parenting from Inside/Out: The Voices of Mothers in Prison, $12.00. 809 Westchester Ave., Bronx, NY 10455
- The Prisoners’ Guide to Survival. A comprehensive legal assitance manual for post-conviction relief and prisoners’ civil rights. For prisoners, send $54.95 to: PSI Publishing, Inc., 413-B 19th Street, #168, Lynden, WA 98264
- Prison Legal News. A monthly newsletter. Highly recommended. The best source of the latest prison-related legal news. A 12 month subscription is $24. Send check and order to: P.O. Box 2420, West Battleboro, VT 05303.
- The Prisoners’ Assistance Directory is published by the American Civil Liberties Union Prison Project. It includes contact information and services descriptions for over 300 national, state, local and international organizations that provide assistance to prisoners, ex-offenders and families of prisoners. It also includes a bibliography of informative books, reports, manuals and newsletters of interest to prisoners and their advocates. Latest edition was updated in 2007. It can be downloaded for free at www.aclu.org . They also publish a newsletter twice a year that is $2 for prisoners. Send a check or money order to National Prison Project Publications, 915 15th St., NW, 7th Floor Washington, DC 20005.
- Prisoners Self-Help Litigation Manual, 4th Edition. Highly recommended. The Fourth Edition of this well-respected resource was published in 2010. It is a very detailed book on prisoners’ constitutional and federal rights, as well as information on how to file and proceed with a lawsuit. It includes lots of citations to relevant cases. Send $39.95 and order to: Oxford University Press, 2001 Evans Road, Cary, NC 27513
- Protecting Your Health & Safety is a publication of the Southern Poverty Law Center, and explains the legal rights inmates have regarding health and safety – including the right to medical care and to be free from inhumane treatment. Send $16 and your request to: Protecting Your Health and Safety, Prison Legal News, P. O. Box 2420, West Battleboro, VT 05303.
- Women in Prison Health Packet. A health manual free for women prisoners. Send requests to: Oberlin Action Against Prisons, P.O. Box 285 Oberlin, OH 44074.